Tuesday, April 17, 2007

5 Things

1. I own a copy of the Warren Report. This is the official report on the Kennedy Assassination. I have read literally dozens of books on the topic and this is only a section of a large conspiracy theory library I own.

2. I didn't "really" start to read until I was seven. I was still very slow at sounding things out, very resistant and reluctant to read. Now I read four to five usually non-fiction books a month and have amassed a library that could service a small town. I got my undergrad degree in US History and am currently getting my Masters in Library Science.

3. I grew up in a conservative (and by conservative I mean in between orthodox and reform) Jewish family, who founded the local temple. I went to services every friday night, many saturdays, and sunday school every week. I studied hebrew for 7 years, culminating and an all hebrew bar mitzvah. I now celebrate a secular christmas and easter with my non-jewish wife and jewish son.

4. Red is my favorite color, which is partially explanitory of my beautiful red-headed wife, with whom I spend my christmasses with. My wife and I have been together for over sixteen years, eight of them married. For the first seven years our biggest annual knock-down fight was over christmas and my various efforts to resist assimilation and wreak sabotage.

5. I have a remarkably high tolerance for caffine. My typical workday consists of a quadrupal shot of expresso in the morning, a pot of coffee through the day, two cans of coke and an 18 ounce Rockstar energy drink. I started drinking coffee when I was three, sitting in my dad's lap. I didn't understand caffine jitters until I felt a slight tremor into my fifth pot of coffee one night in college.

5 comments:

muse said...

*big hugs*

I'm so very glad to have "met" you through blogs, Richard, you are such an interesting (nah, scratch that, _fascinating_) guy, so passionnate about so many things, and with such a good heart showing through also. I love finding out more about you through the topics that you post about, and the occasional glimpse of your family/personal life too.

We have had such different upbringings, I wonder if we'd have become friends in real life (if we didn't know more about the other's interests first, that is)?

Regardless, I'm very happy to read you! (and dear gods, how mushy I'm getting in my old age! *snickers*) ;)

I miss my blogging time... but I may get more soon. I've had a job offer! The holy grail for translators: working from home, but as an employee (with regular salary)! But it would be such a scary step (with that big mortgage on my head!)... I'll post more soon, I just found out the details of what they're offering me today! (if I accept, I'll freelance a lot less: they were giving me 50% of my freelance... so I'll have more blogging time!)

Richard said...

*big hugs* right back~~

I am also grateful that I have met you through our blogs, it is an interesting way to connect with people. It is a fascinatingly intimate connection that one can make in the blogsphere, that cuts deep to a place that is often only revealed through writing.

While I do not do much writing on my other blogs, I believe EE reveals a stunning amount about me, if the reader is paying attention over time. I also reveal much more in my comments on others blogs. But I have read with friendship and fascination about you on your blog and have developed a great affinity for you.

I do believe that if given the proper circumstances we would indeed become friends if we had not met via our blogs. Though I would like to point out that meeting through blogs does not invalidate the connections we have made.

As always I hope that life unfolds as you desire, and that you succeed in the oportunities that life presents.

LisaPal said...

"I do believe that if given the proper circumstances we would indeed become friends if we had not met via our blogs. Though I would like to point out that meeting through blogs does not invalidate the connections we have made."

Richard, I wholeheartedly agree on both counts. I don't believe that the people who are important to us enter our lives by incident or accident. I've been blessed with some wonderful, enduring friendships with people I've met in the most unusual and unlikely ways. It may look like happenstance, but I think that if blogs and the internet hadn't brought us together, some other mechanism would have made it happen. Whatever you want to attribute it to, I'm glad it happened. You guys mean the world to me.

And Muse, congrats on the job offer. And I'm sending you all the love and light and positive vibes I can muster in hope of a positive outcome with the custody situation. I believe that what's right will prevail, I really do, and that everything will turn out okay.

Richard said...

While I find it diffecult to reconcile destiny and free will I do believe that the two interwine.

Anyways, I am hopeful that the job turns out well for you Gen, cuz one of the three of us has to fly, and I know my boat has a slow leak in it, and Lisa is, well, in NOLA.

I am currently in denial that I am falling behind in my current LIS class, so Lisa ask anything you want and I'll see if I can muster another post here.

LisaPal said...

Yikes!

OK. Here's one thing about me that I could put on the list: I'm the kind of person for whom virtually no question is off limits, (and if it is, I'll just say so), but I am also the kind of person who has great difficulty asking others questions, in the absence of some obvious context, lest they be perceived as too presumptuous.

So, Richard, just coming up with a question for you off the cuff is a tall order for me. Besides, I already know a lot more about you than I'd learn in cocktail party conversation.

Hmmm..... OK... I just remembered a question that I think can be revealing. I asked my students to answer this question in the beginning of this semester's consumer behavior class.

If I gave you $15,000 right now, free and clear to do with whatever you wished, what would you do with it?